Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 01:48:47 -0800, Loren M. Lang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Unless BootPart specifically know about how the freebsd boot loaders
work and how to reconize them, I doubt that it's modifying those
parameters.  Now the last 66 bytes of the MBR stores the partition table
of the hard drive, it's possible that BootPart might try to modify that
as it's not part of the boot loader, but the boot loader uses that
information.

Possible. I even checked BootPart's site and forums, but didn't find any mention that it is "FreeBSD-aware" etc. All they talk about is Windows and DOS and Linux. I had a good mind to sign up on the forums and ask the author -- but wasn't too keen on signing up and so left it.

I know it modifies the bootsector some way, coz when I boot using the
extracted file I get a message (and a second's pause) saying that this
bootsector was extracted using BootPart blah blah ...

I don't know about BootPart, but the FreeBSD boot manager replaces the MBR on _both_ disks and allows booting from either.

The limitation is in NTLDR because it's M$ so is only designed for booting M$ OSes and the BOOTSECT file method is designed for booting DOS and non-NT class Windows which could only boot from the first partition on the first drive anyway therefore there is no need for NTLDR to support booting from the second, third, etc. disk using a BOOTSECT file.

Mark

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0505-1, 02/02/2005 Tested on: 02/02/2005 16:05:07 avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com