On 02/03/05 12:05 AM, Gert Cuykens sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:43:23 -0500, Louis LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On 02/02/05 11:36 PM, Gert Cuykens sat at the `puter and typed:
> > > I# xhost local:
> > > non-network local connections being added to access control list
> > > I#
> > >
> > > ok that seems to work a bit better meaning i dont get the message "can
> > > not start screen saver deamon bl bla bla....." Instead i get a message
> > > in my log that locking is not enabled ?
> >
> > Doesn't ring any bells.  What log, and what is the entry?
> >
> > Are you still having trouble with xscreensaver?
> >

> My xscreensaver is telling me "running in root not allowed" my root
> needs a pretty screensaver too you know grrrr
>
> So how do i enable a root screen saver ?

I assume this refers to the root window.  Surely you're not logged
into X as root.

Try this:
check your DISPLAY environment variable with
echo $DISPLAY
make sure it's ':0.0' or something similar, like <hostname>:0.0, then
run this:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver -display $DISPLAY &

That should do what you're trying to do.

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the problem.