Gert Cuykens wrote:
By default the root ssh is disabled. If a dedicated server x somewhere
far far away doesn't have root ssh enabled the admin is pretty much
screwed if they hack his user  account and change the user password
right ?

So is it not better to enable it by default ?

Every unix box has a root account. Not every unix box has a jblogs account. Lets take the example of a brute-force attempt. The first thing I would do would be to attack roots password. I know the account exists. Might as well go for the big prize first.

So having a root account enabled is definetly a bad thing.

Chris