Tom Huppi wrote:

Almost totally unrelated, but this reminds me of a very pleasant conversation I had with on of the early FreeBSD developers. He mentioned that the FreeBSD project grew out of what was known as 'the unofficial 386BSD patch kit' or something like that name. He said that it got to the point where the patch set was indeed larger than the distribution of the OS of interest (which was, I believe, the first port of BSD Unix to the x86 architecture.) I didn't get the sense that he was joking about that.

He wasn't. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/history.html

Mark

--- avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean. Virus Database (VPS): 0505-1, 02/02/2005 Tested on: 05/02/2005 03:02:12 avast! - copyright (c) 2000-2004 ALWIL Software. http://www.avast.com