By the way, the problem appears to be solely permissions-based.  When
I've got normal-looking permissions on /var/mail, postfix gives that
error, "cannot create file."  Courier-IMAP says, "imapd: chdir
javaspot.net/pergesu: No such file or directory"  chmod 777 /var/mail
and they both work fine.  But that's of course not the permissions I
want on it.