Sorry, I managed to resolve the issues myself:

1) the correct option thing is:

options MAXSSIZ=(size)
--actually in my handwritten notes I didn't have the "E".

2) Also, I forgot this:

make buildkernel KERNCONF=KERNELNAME
make installkerner KERNCONF=KERNELNAME

> Are you sure you need bigger stacks?  If a task is using that much
> stack space on a 32-bit architecture, the program involved probably
> needs to be redesigned anyway...

It's crystallography software (ccp4) originally designed for the SGIs and
then ported to Linux/Windows/MacOSX.  It requires really huge stack
spaces, sometimes, at least.  Anyways, it crashes when FreeBSD
mysteriously terminates the program with a segmentation fault.  I'm just
trying to cover all my bases on the way to getting it to work.  Could just
be that I need more memory on my computer, period.

Isaac