At 05:19 PM 2/5/2005, Chris Hodgins wrote:
J.D. Bronson wrote:
No one responded - I am sure someone out there knows what the deal is here...
I did a full install from CDROM on a fresh new clean drive.
Freebsd is the ONLY OS on the drive. And i used the entire drive.
I selected the standard boot manager (not the freebsd one)...
and all the install went fine. This is what I see when I reboot after install:
FreeBSD/i386 BOOT
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader
boot:

..and it JUST SITS there. If I hit the return key, it will boot up into the beastie menu and boot fine. How can I get this machine to boot up on its OWN?
The boot startup sequence on the machine is HARD DRIVE THEN CDROM.
This is the only hard drive in the system.
Please if anyone knows how to fix this?? - A fresh install with a fresh drive....and still no luck.

I did just discover this and wonder if I should create a PR for it.

If both IDE channels are enabled and they are all set to AUTO/AUTO for master/slave and there is no drive (yet) installed to IDE channel2, the machine hangs. If I install a drive to IDE channel2, the machine boots.

Also, if I disable IDE channel2 and just leave channel1 functional, the machine also boots.

So what the heck is channel 2 so important for booting a drive on channel1 ?

--
J.D. Bronson
Aurora Health Care // Information Services // Milwaukee, WI USA