Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Eric Kjeldergaard writes:

The logo can be seen on the website www.freeBSD.org. it is in fact a
relatively (from a printing perspective) high-resolution image of our
daemon, holding a pitchfork on his left side. He is slightly facing
forward, though looks off somewhat to the right. I know, "He's a
mascot, not a daemon"...but that's not entirely true (not true at
all?).

Tell you what: Go out and find out how much it would cost to print 10,000 copies of that "logo" on paper, exactly as it appears on the site, in crisp detail and bright colors. Then you'll see why a separate logo is required.

A name, symbol, or trademark designed for easy and definite
recognition, especially one borne on a single printing plate or piece
of type.

Yes, a _single printing plate_ or a _piece of type_. The image you
reference doesn't even come close to that.

you are all looking at a web graphic. Allready rendered as process colors. Its impossible to say how many "printing plates" its on. Obviously its more than 1. But that graphic could easily be a spot color print job, Which I think by today's standards is acceptable. And I believe you stated a logo should be free of "screens" You only need 1 plate to do a screen, so this is also irrelevent.

Regards,
   Frank Laszlo