On Feb 11, 2005, at 3:46 PM, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

Joshua Tinnin writes:

I don't think you understand the history of FreeBSD. Many people who
work at Yahoo! are committers, and their employer not only knows about
this but encourages it.

That's not good enough. The employer has to assign its copyrights as well, or waive the usual work-for-hire arrangement that is implicit for employees writing code within the scope of their work.

To what end?

I'd hate to see FreeBSD become unavailable because of copyright issues. A lot of organizations are buried by this type of litigation. And frankly, the cavalier attitude about such serious questions that I sometimes see displayed does not reassure me.

This is not the right place to ask such questions. If you are *seriously* concerned about this, and do not think that the FreeBSD core / foundation and their lawyers have not thought about this, then you should bring it up with them, and perhaps do a little leg work yourself and go through the codebase and make sure.

Chad