On Feb 11, 2005, at 4:00 PM, Johnson David wrote:

From: Anthony Atkielski [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Because FreeBSD is a server, not a desktop.

Agree and disagree. While FreeBSD is well suited for the server, it's also
well suited for the desktop.

Anthony had the same misguided opinion in the Apache Users mailing list.

That doesn't mean that we should be stressing
the desktop to those shopping for servers, instead it means that we
shouldn't be telling those shopping for desktops to go use Linux instead.
How many business will be running Linux on the desktop but FreeBSD on the
server? None!

But you will find lots of people with FreeBSD on the Server and OS X on the desktop!

Not to say that you cannot run a FreeBSD desktop. And any efforts to make that easier are applauded. I used to run Linux on the desktop[1] and FreeBSD on the server. Setting up Linux as a desktop at the time (1990-2000 timeframe) was so much easier. I don't know about now, but with Linux (SuSE is what I used back then) it was as easy as setting up Windows.

Chad

[1] and Windows 2000 :-( and Mac OS 8/9 and Rhapsody and the beta for OS X