Peterhin,
  I have been an avid Linux/Open Source user and advocate for
approximately 7 years .  I was into Linux before it was the "Cool"
thing to do.  I have recently began my journey with FreeBSD, and I'm
really enjoying it thus far.  In fact, I have decided to use it on all
of my production servers.  You will read a thousand posts, various
articles, and journals about the pros and cons of these operating
systems.  This will cause some confusion because someone will convince
you that this is better than that, then another author will make a
very strong case in the other direction.  In the end,neither of these
technologies is superior to the other.  Each of them have goods and
bad attributes that will determine what your experience will be.  To
really get a feel for these technologies you need to install and use
them long enough to form your own opinion.  Having experience with
both of these will do nothing but benefit you.

--Nick