it was said:

>1. I have adelphia cable internet.  I would like to get a dyndns or
>no-ip.com account to have a static IP for my new godaddy domain.

Having such accounts doesn't give you a static IP. A static IP is one
that never changes. Only your ISP (Adelphia, in your case) can supply
that.

>Simple enough.  However, I would like to also do my own DNS to learn
>more about it.   Will I be able to do this if I set my nameserver on
>godaddy to my box's dyndns address?  And from there can I set up A
>records, MX Records, etc and all that good stuff?

No. You don't have a static IP, so this won't work. That's what
companies like dyndns and no-ip.com are for. Read how their services
work for an more detailed explanation.

>2.  What about reverse DNS?  Could I possibly do that on my box?

No. The only way to do reverse DNS is to have the IP(s) delegated to
you by your ISP. Unless you get a large block of IP addresses assigned
to you, this is unlikely to happen. (I have 16 addresses and my ISP
said, "No!" when I asked. I knew they would, but one hopes....)

>3. I would also like to run my own mailserver for that domain (again
>to learn).  Would I be able to do this and send receive email from/to
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]  I know most ISPs block port 25 and no-ip.com
>has a pay service called mail reflector that can get around this.  Is
>this necessary?  Why couldn't I just set up sendmail to use a port
>other than 25 like 8080?

No. You'll have to use the reflector service. Mailservers try to
connect to port 25 because that's the port the RFC says to use. Setting
your server to 8080 will make it useless.

>Thanks.  Again, this stuff just confuses the heck out of me.

You're wlecome. I suggest you read the book _DNS and BIND_ by Albitz
and Liu, published by O'Reilly. It's generally considered the
definitive work on this topic and will save you many hours of
frustration. After reading it you'll know why you can run web and mail
servers from a dynamic IP but not a name server.
One thing to consider, clearly you don't have a commercial account. If
I were you, I would check what Adelphia can do if they catch you
running servers from a residental account. I know somebody that got
caught by rr.com. They back billed him for a commercial account. It
totaled more than US$6000.00. Of course, that's not as bad as what
Buckeye Cable did to the users that uncapped their modems a couple
years ago.
http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2002Nov/gee20021122017460.htm

Regards,

stheg