* Colin J. Raven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [0205 15:05]:

> Some tangential observations:
> 1. Unless you *must* use telnet for some reason, it's a good idea to
> turn it off.

This is a telnet client, how would you 'turn that off'.

This is a very common way to test if a socket is listening, and there are
no security issues with connecting to a socket on your own machine anyway.

> 2. Please tell us that - in the example above - you weren't telnet'ing
> as root? I see it was to locahost...but even so that's not a great
> practice.

This makes no sense at all.
Can we all stop knee-jerking at the word telnet?

--
'Aww, you know what always cheers me up? Laughing at other people's
misfortunes.'