At 06:08 PM 2/13/2005, Roland Smith wrote:
On Sun, Feb 13, 2005 at 05:40:13PM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> I have a box with 3 ide's
>
> primary master - 4 gb, win 98 currently installed @ 150 mb in size
>
> primary slave - 4 gb, empty
>
> secondary slave - 6 gb, empty

You can install FreeBSD on any harddisk. If you want dual-boot, you'll
need to install a boot manager.

Ok, I understand how to do that much but wasn't sure it could work that way.

Usually it's best to install Windows first, because it will overwrite
the master boot record anyway.

Cool, I guessed right (eventually).

If you want to install FreeBSD on the first drive, you have to make room
for it.

Need some enlightenment here.

I think the standard for Windows is to take the entire disk

The entire partition afaik. Therefore right now in fbsd terms I have

ads0 - 4 gb
ads1 - 4 gb
ads2 - 6 gb

and to go right into the fbsd install would have to give all of ads0 to windows, which I don't want to do.

Now, I could reformat the first ide with windows' fdisk... say I did this and created two partitions of .5 & 3.5 gb respectively. They'd be windows partitions so that wouldn't necessarily work, or would it? Doing this I'd have to reinstall windows after.

In that case, would fbsd see

ads0 - .5 gb
ads1 - 3.5 gb
ads2 - 4 gb
ads3 - 6 gb

so you'd have to shrink the windows partition or repartition the disk and reinstall windows on a
new partition. There are free tools like parted available to resize FAT partitions.

Roland, are you saying that if I were to install fbsd now on

ads1 - 4 gb
ads2 - 6 gb

then I could later on install parted and use it to shrink ads0 and allocate the overage to fbsd? If so, that sounds like my best option.

Am I getting this right?

Thanks,

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387 Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal