On Feb 18, 2005, at 12:50 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2005 1:34 PM
To: Ted Mittelstaedt
Cc: 'Mikhail Teterin'; Robert Kim, EVDO-Coverage, Verizon Agent; List
Free Bsd
Subject: Re: Verizon's EVDO and FreeBSD

On Feb 17, 2005, at 2:03 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Robert,

Hmm - The Mac source (I assume your talking Mac OS X)
would probably
be the best to start with.  It might be a very easy port to whatever
version of FreeBSD was used for the version of Mac OS X you wrote the
driver for.

Mac OS X is not based on FreeBSD.

Whoah there Chad! Please refer to the following website, guy!:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Conceptual/ OSX_Technology
_Overview/index.html

Note the following statement there:

"...Beneath the appealing, easy-to-use interface of Mac OS X is a
rock-solid,
UNIX-based foundation called Darwin that is engineered for stability,
reliability,
and performance. Darwin integrates a number of technologies, most
importantly Mach 3.0,
operating-system services based on FreeBSD 5,
--------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It has a BSD user layer and
compatibility layer and they DO use the FreeBSD userland for
their own,

No, a lot more than that, see Darwin.

Yes, there is a BSD personality mode that offers (some) kernel services use BSD APIs. This is so the userland works right and sees what it expects. And so that BSD style sys utils like sysctl will work and stuff. Still a layer on top of a totally different architecture.

but the driver level is MUCH different.

I know that, but that is today, not yesterday. Bob stated the "old open
source"
driver, I took that to mean a version 1.0 driver released for the first
ever
version of MacOS X.

Even if it was an old driver made for the first ever version of MacOS X, the driver level interfaces are much different so I don't see much how it would help you.

Mind you, I have not written a driver for OS X or FreeBSD, but the opposite question often comes up on some OS X forums/lists I read...

best regards
Chad

 I didn't know this card and service was a new thing.

Ted