Andrei Iarus wrote:

I have installed apache-1.3.33_1, php5-5.0.3_1. And I
tried to run simple scripts like: <html>
<head>
<title>PHP Test</title>
</head>
<?php echo '<p>Hello World</p>'; ?>
and the output was an unexpected one:

Hello World

'; ?>
It also doesn`t outputs anything when using the
phpversion() function. A possible bug? Before
reporting this as a bug, I wanted to check if there
was someone else with similar problems(or may be I did
something wrong).

First guess. Apache doesn't know about <?php tags. If you installed php via the port, apache is configured automatically. So I have to ask. Did you restart apache?? Just create a file (index.php), and in it put <?php phpinfo(); ?>

And see what it does...