Shouldn't be much difference - except that it might actually be
easier.  I came from Linux (way back in the RH6.0 days) running Cyrus
Imapd to FreeBSD running the same.  I recently moved over to Courier
Imapd, which I think I like better.  Cyrus required a lot of up front
work and detailed tweaking, but Courier was surprisingly easy.  The
distribution config was pretty self explanatory with good descriptions
of what was needed, and the only thing I needed to do by hand is make
sure all the maildirs were created - which courier provides a utility
for.

I've always found that it's far easier to get software working when I use the ports. Nowadays, I never - and I mean NEVER - install software any other way if there is a port I can use. When I want a package to solve a particular problem, the ports are the first second, and last place I search.

> You might want to check your disk layout before deciding. Cyrus will
store all mail in a single location, typically somewhere in /var,
while Courier puts it right in maildir folders in the home directory -
although you can tweak this if you don't want to create shell accounts
for every mail account.  Personally, I like Courier better.  I know
where my mail is, and I have a lot more flexibility in my filtration
and delivery.

Read the other responses coming.  There are other IMAP capable servers
in the ports, and most of them will get a nod from the list folk.
I'd have to agree with the poster. For a small installation Courier is faster to get up and running the Cyrus. But once you start having to use it with 20-30 users, Cyrus is hands down a better deal. Yes, it does take a more grokking to get Cyrus running correctly but not having shell accounts on your mailserver is a blessing.

As long as you have a small installation, most of the decisions are fairly meaningless, i.e. mbox or maildir, which smtp server, etc.

I had been admin' a moderatly sized (cyrus/exim/spamassasin/clam-av) setup until recently when we switched to the darkside. (Don't ask, it's still to painful to think about.)(If you're still curious it had nothing to do with email capabilities but with scheduling capabilities and the darkside client)