To: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Greg Barniskis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2005 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: get local sendmail to use MX records

I'm 100% sure this is not the case and here is why. I figured something out.

All my servers do the same thing. It has something to do with the reverse DNS pointers of some domains.

For example. I have (another) server running with 20 domains under 4 ip addresses where I never ever touched sendmail or its configuration files. 4 of the domains have a reverse DNS pointer to one of the 4 ips. Sendmail handles 16 domains well (= looks up MX records and delegates the mail to the right server) and tries to handle the mail of 4 domains itself. Needles to say that those 4 domains are the ones that have reverse pointers to the 4 ips attached to that particular server.

I tested this on 5 servers and its the same everywhere.

I hope one of you knows what to do with this information. I spotted the problem now, but I don't know how to solve it. Clearly sendmail prefers a reverse pointer to a domain above looking up the MX records and using them, but how can I let it stop doing that?

Thanks!
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ted Mittelstaedt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>