Incoming.

> I allow udp *to* port 53.  I allow *ip* outgoing, so any response to a dns
> request would be answered.

Not relevant, as far as my knowledge goes.

> Even though it doesn't make sense to me.  If my *first* rule is "allow ip
> from x.x.x.x/32 to {server}" and I also have a rule that says "allow ip
> from {server} to any", then I can't imagine why a restriction on udp would
> interfere with that since "ip" includes both tcp and udp.

That's a point. If this is the case, i.e. you are using "ip" then tcp/udp
makes no difference. Did you lately do any builds or partial builds of the
source tree?

Indian Institute of Information Technology
Subhro Sankha Kar
Block AQ-13/1, Sector V
Salt Lake City
PIN 700091