Peter Schuller wrote:
How does one cause rc.conf to be reread without rebooting? Under linux
I would generally do "source somefile.conf". But if I do "source
rc.conf", I'm told that all my settings are not commands.

Generally, you don't.

For details, see the explanation of the FAQ:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#REREAD-RC

It's worth mentioning that if you're on 5.x and are looking to reload certain
specific settings (such as daemon configurations etc), you can run
/etc/rc.d/affected-script reload (or the equivalent in /usr/local/etc/rc.d).

Thanks.... yeah, I figured that. However, in this case I had simply added "keymap="us.iso"" to the rc.conf. So, I had to stop all my daemons just to change my keymap. Now, this was just on my home box, so I don't really care. But I'm running FreeBSD on this home machine as a test to see if I want to put it on my server. This rc.conf thing was another significant strike against it. Someone correct me if I got this wrong...