----- Original Message ----- From: "Shawn B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, March 06, 2005 4:19 PM
Subject: CGI script executing and Apache help (2nd try & important)

I am running FreeBSD-4.8 with Apache 1.3 installed. I
changed the htdocs directory in httpd.conf to
/home/user1/public_html/ and I added a /cgi-bin/ in
the same user directory. Scripts will not execute from
the cgi-bin, as the scripts contents are displayed in
the browser window. I went through httpd.conf using
the search feature in Easy Editor, editing sections
that have .cgi in it. Now, I am stumped as to how to
get the CGI scripts to execute.

In order to get CGI scripts to run in a directory other than the default cgi-bin directory, you have to define the directory and include the option +ExecCGI

So, in your case, it would be something like this:
<Directory "/home/user1/public_html">
   Options +ExecCGI
</Directory>

But, as others have said, you really should read the Apache docs and familiarize yourself with the syntax. Also consider using mod_security to protect your server from attack.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member