On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 03:42:29PM -0500, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> > Back in the days of ~4.5 I was able to install a stripped down
> > version in about 76MB.  I think the last time I tried sometime
> > around 5.0 to do this it was up to about 90MB
>
> That's a really stripped down installation though.

I once stripped down 4.7 to under 10 MB then another 10 MB of Apache &
extensions, and another 10 MB of Perl.

My stripping technique was not to remove that which was unneeded but to
add only that which was needed, drawn from a chroot'ed custom build
which dynamically linked items such as /bin/sh which are normally
statically linked so that they work when /usr/lib isn't available.
Wasn't an issue for this application as everything went on as single
read-only filesystem on a Compact Flash card.

Used my list of binaries to extract a list of libraries referenced, then
only copied those libraries to my target.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]