On 03/10/05 21:24:03, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
I was reading that recent versions of Linux have increased the base
timer rate (for scheduling and other purposes) from 100 Hz to 1000 Hz.
I note that FreeBSD apparently will increase this in the same way in
6.x.

Is there a way to adjust this value (by configuration, modifying
source,
sysctl, etc.)?  Can it be done on a running system?  If it can be
changed, are there any significant reasons for adjusting it, and what
are the pros and cons?

Having 1000 interrupts per second just to keep track of the time seems
excessive to me in most configurations. Does anyone know how long
this
interrupt takes to service under FreeBSD with specific processors?

--
Anthony

man polling, this is what I use to get the best possible even division with the "Timecounter "i8254" frequency 1193182 Hz quality 0".

add something like this to the kernel config.
options         HZ=2299
options         DEVICE_POLLING

Also you should search the archives first, there is plenty of info on this there. Things like 10000 is a good setting for gigbit ethernet cards, and not needed at all with some network cards that have some hardware/driver combonation that does this automatically. I think the fxp cards do it, and adding polling to fxp cards hurt performance alittle.