On Mar 11, 2005, at 1:37 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Kirk Strauser
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 11:42 AM
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: how to deal with spam for good?

You know, I'm no longer sure that's true.  I think that spam
will stick
around as long as stupid business owners continue to get suckered into
thinking that it's a legitimate means of marketing.  One of my
associate's
customers (a brick and mortar store) was being sweet-talked by
a spammer
into sending a series of broadcasts.  In this situation, the
spammer would
profit off the ignorance of that *business owner*.  Even if
100% of the
messages were blocked, he'd still get his pay for performing
the "service".

Didn't anyone tell your associate's customers that spamming is now a felony? And, even if they hire a spammer to do it for them, the law still prosecutes them for the spamming?

Add some teeth to that law and some lawyers who are willing to pursue this in volume, and you'd be on to something. As it stands, it's like prosecuting jaywalkers. Who bothers?

Even junk faxer's get away with that kind of crap despite the fines (happened to catch Tom Martino on the radio yesterday talking about it...)