On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:38:54 +0000, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 03:44:32PM -0500, John DeStefano wrote:
> > I have seen a mention or two of this error on the lists before,
> > including this link to the "current" list I pulled up from Google:
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/019150.html
> >
> > In my case, the errors began after my exploratory two-year-old found
> > the shiny 'reset' button and could not resist its powers.  I'm also
> > getting HDD error messages on boot, 'fsck -y' shows all the file
> > systems as read-only and returns errors on one of them, and I can no
> > longer SSH into my system (due to, I assume, too many open file
> > handles), or even get a command in on my console without an error
> > popping in..
> >
> > The solution does not seem clear cut to me, and it seems the error
> > message itself does not provide valid (or, at least, sufficient)
> > information.
> >
> > Could someone please help, or point me in the right direction?
>
> Did you read the tuning(7) manpage, as instructed?
>
> Kris

Hi Kris,

Yes, and it contained quite a bit of informaiton.  But it does not
seem to contain this error directly, nor any procedural information on
how to alleviate the error.

I also read here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-January/019150.html
"the error message is incorrect." and "This value is loader tunable only."

And here:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/17/2004/11/3/255979
"Unfortunately the man page for tunining doesn't seem to have anything
specifically about increasing the value of kern.ipc.maxpipekva".

I have the box working as a dumb terminal, and I'm no longer able to
SSH in.  Apparently, I can set the values of the kernel parameters I
need to change either at boot time, or in loader.conf.  I will try
that, once I attach a montitor and keys and figure out how to do it,
along with which parameters I need to change, and what the values
should be for my system.

By the way: thank you for responding to me, and copying the list, as I
thought was the best-practice protocol for the list; it seems to have
become a forgotten art.

Thanks,
~John