On Monday, 14 March 2005 at 10:38:02 +0100, Ludo Koren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using 5.2.1-RELEASE-p3 for backup on DDS-4 tapes 40GB in size.

> Why I cannot dump the filesystem on 2 tapes (it takes 3, it seems it
> works without compression) no matter if I use dump or cpio? What I am
> doing wrong?

You're using dump :-)

Dump is too stupid to understand compression or EOF marks, so it errs
on the side of caution.  It's also IMO not a very good backup medium
unless you really want the incremental dump facility.  Even between
different releases of FreeBSD there are compatibility problems, and
you can assume that there is no compatibility at all between different
operating systems.  You may find tar a better choice.

Greg