On Mar 19, 2005, at 7:20 PM, Jason Crawford wrote:
I fail to see how this "FUD check" email has anything to do with the
fact that Scott locked all freebsd users to Adaptec's binary-only
management utility, which means the user IS NOT FREE to change
something on it to either work better, fix a bug, add a feature, or
just experiment, as well as just develop/use a different management
utility.

You made the assertion that Scott was doing something to lock FreeBSD users "into only one option for a RAID card". This assertion is nonsense, so obviously so that it is clearly FUD.

You have also made the assertion that FreeBSD users are forever locked into using a binary-only solution from Adaptec to manage AAC hardware. This assertion is also untrue. I've seen one or two people talk with Scott on the FreeBSD lists about creating an open source replacement to the binary-only management tool. It's probably a lot of work, and it will be ready when the work gets done, or not, depending on their time, interest, and motivation.

In the meantime, people can use the binary management tool just fine, or they can revert to using the BIOS directly if they don't want to run the binary tool.

This is not FUD, but fact. An unacceptable fact.

"Unacceptable" to whom? I can't remember seeing *anyone* complain about this matter over the past three years, so it's demonstrably not a problem for any noticable fraction of the FreeBSD userbase.

You claim otherwise?  Prove it!

Cite Message-id from the FreeBSD mailing lists prior to this thread.
Don't be bashful when it comes to showing evidence to back up your words....

--
-Chuck