On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:51:51 +0000, Peter Risdon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 08:54 +0100, Josh Ockert wrote:
> > I've noticed that nobody responds negatively to questions by Russian
> > speakers, but that French speakers are told not to ask questions here.
> > I don't believe this is a fair response.
>
> Perhaps, though I'm not sure myself what is said in Russian to them
> whereas I can read the French. But the reply in, I think, Swedish to
> this question in French was a very good indication of what an impossible
> babel this or any other list would be if a single language were not
> declared and respected.
>
> Peter.

You could equally argue that this place is already a babel; mentally
disregarding messages in foreign languages should be just as easy as
ignoring the questions about particular hardware you know nothing
about. We're all Internet literate here (at any rate, most of us ;) ),
which suggests that we've the ability to pick out the important and/or
applicable bits from masses of information.