on 11/02/2013 06:01 Steve Wills said the following:
> The more I look at it, the more I think this may be a bug in Ruby or
> configure. the file is generated by config.status like so:
>
> ./config.status --file=ruby-1.9.pc:./template/ruby.pc.in
>
> Try the attached patch, also available here:
>
> http://meatwad.mouf.net/~swills/ruby_pc.diff.txt
>
> It builds, but otherwise it's untested. Should be harmless. Let me know
> if this fixes it for you and I'll get added on the next update to the port.

>From a quick look at configure.in I see that there is a special case for
>freebsd
| dragonflybsd:

[freebsd*|dragonfly*], [
        DLDFLAGS="$DLDFLAGS "'-Wl,-soname,$(.TARGET)'

I think that this assignment should be removed.  That's the only occurrence of
-Wl,-soname in DLDFLAGS in the whole script.

Possibly we should do instead what is done for netbsd elsewhere in the script:
[netbsd*], [
        LIBRUBY_DLDFLAGS='-Wl,-soname,lib$(RUBY_SO_NAME).so.$(MAJOR)$(MINOR)'

In freebsd/dragonfly block (preceding the netbsd one) this could be written more
compactly as:
        LIBRUBY_DLDFLAGS='-Wl,-soname,$(LIBRUBY_SO)'

--
Andriy Gapon