On Fri, 2 Oct 2009, johnea wrote:
 > Garrett Wollman wrote:
[..]
 > > > tcp4       0      0 atom.60448             host154.advance.com.ar.auth
 > > > TIME_WAIT
 > >
 > > "auth" is the port number used by the IDENT protocol.
 > >
 > > -GAWollman
 >
 > Thank You to everyone who responded!
 >
 > In fact I did discover these lines in hosts.allow:
 >
 > 31-# Protect against simple DNS spoofing attacks by checking that the
 > 32-# forward and reverse records for the remote host match. If a mismatch
 > 33-# occurs, access is denied, and any positive ident response within
 > 34-# 20 seconds is logged. No protection is afforded against DNS poisoning,
 > 35-# IP spoofing or more complicated attacks. Hosts with no reverse DNS
 > 36-# pass this rule.
 > 37:ALL : PARANOID : RFC931 20 : deny
 >
 > This is what was generating the auth protocol socket.
 >
 > I've disabled it to prevent the establishment of the auth socket to hosts
 > who are attempting to breakin.
 >
 > Per another suggestion I also intend to change the port for ssh to a
 > non-standard number (after synchronizing with the users of course 8-)

This will provide the greatest relief against drive-by ssh probes, which
are pretty much background radiation these days.  Some may decry it as
'security by obscurity', but who cares when it works so effectively :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers provides a
reasonably useful list of ports NOT to choose for an obscure ssh port.

cheers, Ian