Ivan Voras wrote:
> hi,
> I seem to remember hearing an anecdote somewhere that using hundreds
> (or thousands?) nullfs mounts for jails results in unreasonably bad
> file system access performance. Does somebody have this kind of setup
> / is it true?

I was doing this with jails --before we moved to VMware ESX (for better or
worse)-- and
didn't see any noticeable performance degradation at the time (6.x series).

For those interested, the biggest plus for going to the ESX model is that it
decoupled low
utilization Windows boxes from over-spec'ed hardware and made it available for
FreeBSD to
use ;-). The downsides are that it's proprietary, it's expensive, it's
inefficient (e.g.
duplicated files and kernel instances everywhere), and you need freak'in
Windows boxes to
manage it.

--
Russell A. Jackson <r...@csub.edu>
Network Analyst

The first thing I do in the morning
is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.
                -- Dorothy Parker