On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:49:12 +0100, Robert Noland <rnol...@freebsd.org> wrote:

I went ahead and merged the Radeon R6/7xx code to -STABLE a while ago.

The current xorg drivers will not enable it by default on R600+ chips.
You will need to be using xf86-video-ati-6.12.0,
xf86-video-radeonhd-devel or possibly even better git master of either.

You will need to add the following to the Device section of your
xorg.conf to enable it.  If you are experiencing issues, commenting
these two options out, will prevent Xorg from auto-loading the kernel
module.

Options "DRI"
Options "AccelMethod" "EXA"

robert.

Thanks. I currently have EXA accel on my system with xf86-video-ati-6.12.0, which makes KDE 4 a lot better already.

drm0: <Radeon HD 2400 XT> on vgapci0
vgapci0: child drm0 requested pci_enable_busmaster
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.29.0 20080528
info: [drm] Setting GART location based on new memory map
info: [drm] Loading RV610 CP Microcode
info: [drm] Loading RV610 PFP Microcode
info: [drm] Resetting GPU
info: [drm] writeback test succeeded in 1 usecs
drm0: [ITHREAD]

Cheers,

Ronald.