James Wu wrote:

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the list so forgive me if this has been answered. I tried searching the archives and tried googling and didn't come up with any results.

I've been wanting to play with setfib multi-routing tables in 7.1, however, we have a bunch of 7.0 machines. I thought I'd take a test machine and upgrade it to 7.1. Everything went smoothly at first. I compiled a custom 7.1 kernel and installed it just fine. Afterwards, I ran:

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install
to upgrade to the latest 7.0

then:
freebsd-update upgrade -r 7.1-RELEASE
freebsd-update install -r 7.1-RELEASE
freebsd-update fetch
to upgrade to 7.1

Did you just these 3 commands? You must use freebsd-update install twice. First time for kernel upgrade, then reboot and then freebsd-update install again to install new userland. Do you have other binaries in /usr/sbin, /usr/bin, /bin /sbin upgraded? (ls -al shows newer date + time)

now when I do a
uname -a,
I get FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE-p3 which looks right to me

uname -a is derived from kernel, so it is possible that you have 7.1 kernel with 7.0 userland.

The problem I'm running into though is that the setfib binary doesn't seem to been added during the upgrade as I don't see it anywhere. I took a fresh install of 7.1 and do see it /usr/sbin/, but it's not there for the upgraded version of 7.1. I guess at this point, I would like to do a reinstall of the sbin folder if it is possible or somehow get a clean copy of the /usr/sbin/ folder into my upgraded machine. Any hints on how to do that?

Miroslav Lachman