On Apr 18, 2009, at 14:05, Doug Hardie wrote:

I have encountered a rather interesting issue trying to install rc1. The system boots and then says there is no disk in the CD drive. The rc1 disk1 downloaded fine and the checksums matched. The CD will mount fine in other systems and can easily be read. I then let 7.0 boot on the test system and mounted the 7.2 cd. It mounts fine and I can read all the files ( well a few that I tested). Looking through the 7.0 dmesg I find some rather unexpected entries for the CD drive.

Since I can't boot the CD, I did a source update. Unfortunately I seem to have downloaded one of the kernel modules while it was being updated since it would not compile. Since it was for hardware I don't have, I just commented it out and everything then built just fine.

#device         ath             # Atheros pci/cardbus NIC's
#device         ath_hal         # Atheros HAL (Hardware Access Layer)
#device         ath_rate_sample # SampleRate tx rate control for ath

I usually run a stress test on new releases. Basically I open a ftp to a server (local LAN) and download gigs of data - more than the available free space on the drive. With 7.1, the download would hang about 50% of the time. There was free space remaining on the drive. The NIC was basically useless at that point. The only way to restore it was to reboot. The particular machine I am using right now only has an old decrepit rl NIC:

rl0: <RealTek 8139 10/100BaseTX> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem 0xdd104000-0xdd1040ff irq 12 at device 13.0 on pci0
rlphy0: <RealTek internal media interface> PHY 0 on miibus0
rlphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
rl0: Ethernet address: 00:d0:09:d8:8f:ff
rl0: [ITHREAD]

When running this test with 7.2-rc1 it always managed to make it to disk full and then terminate gracefully. Looks like the rl NICs are going to be usable. I had eliminated them from my production servers a long time ago.

The only real issue I encountered was that the number of files you have to respond to in mergemaster continues to grow (perhaps exponentially). For my machine I maintain the source on thats no big issue. However, it does cause a lot of additional down time for the servers. I am going to have to dig through mergemaster to see if there is some way to tell it to automatically install the updates to specific directories (e.g., periodic, security, rc.d etc.). I never touch them and they contribute the majority of manual entries.