On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 09:52 -0300, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
> Em 27/04/2009 14:16, Ken Smith escreveu:
> > We need more information about how far it gets before it stops.  Does it
> > seem like it attempts the boot off the CD at all or does it just fall
> > through to booting off the hard drive?
>
> It try boot from cdrom and after a little time it boots from next device.
>
> > If it does attempt to boot off
> > the CD does it lock up with no messages?  If there are messages what are
> > the last few things it says?
> >

> It doesn't print any message and after that short time BIOS try next
> device from boot order.

Thanks.  That makes it sound like the BIOS doesn't think the CD is
bootable but I'm not sure why.  We'll need to try and collect more
information from other sources to see if we can narrow it down (e.g.
whether it happens on other vendors' motherboards or just Gigabyte,
whether there are other combinations of SATA versus non-SATA optical
drives that cause problems, etc).

Just to collect as much information about this specific case as I can...
Are you using CD media or DVD media?  Is there a chance you could try
the other type of media (e.g. if you're using CD media could you give
DVD media a quick try?) just to eliminate that as one of the variables?

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensm...@cse.buffalo.edu