Am 05.05.2009, 09:46 Uhr, schrieb Daniel Gerzo <dan...@freebsd.org>:

Manolis Kiagias wrote:

I always use -iU too.
I've lost motd, passwd, group and master.passwd
During mergemaster -p I was asked to merge changes to some of these, and
still they were replaced with the newer versions. I don't know what went
wrong but have restored them from backup. (I always tar /etc before a
source upgrade). Upgrading another system using freebsd-update did not
cause any problem.

I have the same experience while I was upgrading a few machines upgrading from RELENG_7 to RELENG_7_2. I haven't experienced when upgrading from 7.1-R to 7.2-R.

Careful there - RELENG_7 is _newer_ than RELENG_7_2. The latter is branched off RELENG_7 at some point and progresses much slower (as in: errata and security, but no development), so that's no "update", but often the reverse.

--
Matthias Andree