On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Mike Tancsa <m...@sentex.net> wrote:
> At 05:59 PM 5/20/2009, Kip Macy wrote:
>>
>> If you choose to upgrade a pool to take advantage of new features you
>> will no longer be able to use it with sources prior to today. 'zfs
>> send/recv' is not expected to inter-operate between different pool
>> versions.
>
> Hi,
>        Thanks for working on ZFS!   Is there a summary of the new features
> somewhere ?
>
>        ---Mike

Primarily what was in Pawel's commit to HEAD (see below).

The following changes have also been brought in:

- the recurring deadlock was fixed by deferring vinactive to a dedicated thread
-  zfs boot for all types now works
- kmem now goes up to 512GB so arc is now limited by physmem
- the arc now experiences backpressure from the vm (which can be too
much - but allows ZFS to work without any tunables on amd64)

Revision 185029 - (view) (annotate) - [select for diffs]
Modified Mon Nov 17 20:49:29 2008 UTC (6 months ago) by pjd
File length: 38244 byte(s)
Diff to previous 177698

Update ZFS from version 6 to 13 and bring some FreeBSD-specific changes.

This bring huge amount of changes, I'll enumerate only user-visible changes:

- Delegated Administration

        Allows regular users to perform ZFS operations, like file system
        creation, snapshot creation, etc.

- L2ARC

        Level 2 cache for ZFS - allows to use additional disks for cache.
        Huge performance improvements mostly for random read of mostly
        static content.

- slog

        Allow to use additional disks for ZFS Intent Log to speed up
        operations like fsync(2).

- vfs.zfs.super_owner

        Allows regular users to perform privileged operations on files stored
        on ZFS file systems owned by him. Very careful with this one.

- chflags(2)

        Not all the flags are supported. This still needs work.

- ZFSBoot

        Support to boot off of ZFS pool. Not finished, AFAIK.

        Submitted by:   dfr

- Snapshot properties

- New failure modes

        Before if write requested failed, system paniced. Now one
        can select from one of three failure modes:
        - panic - panic on write error
        - wait - wait for disk to reappear
        - continue - serve read requests if possible, block write requests

- Refquota, refreservation properties

        Just quota and reservation properties, but don't count space consumed
        by children file systems, clones and snapshots.

- Sparse volumes

        ZVOLs that don't reserve space in the pool.

- External attributes

        Compatible with extattr(2).

- NFSv4-ACLs

        Not sure about the status, might not be complete yet.

        Submitted by:   trasz

- Creation-time properties

- Regression tests for zpool(8) command.

Obtained from:  OpenSolaris