On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 20:17 -0000, dougb wrote:

Howdy,

I make this suggestion every time there is a new major release coming,
maybe this time will be the one! :)

One could argue that with the 2 active stable branches that we have
now the freebsd-stable@ mailing list is already quite confusing.
Adding a third (8-STABLE) will make it much more so (arguably
confusion to the third power instead of just confusion squared), for a
lot of reasons that I think are probably obvious.

Thus, my suggestion. Split what is currently freebsd-stable into one
list per branch. This year I even have a better suggestion for the
names, freebsd-6@, freebsd-7@, and freebs...@. After the flag day mail
sent to the existing -stable list can get an auto-reply explaining the
new world order.

What do you think?

Doug

On second thought you could also create the FreeBSD-?stable list and still have then CC'd to the FreeBSD-stable list for archive purposes allowing people to just subscribe to one list or all of them as a group.

--