Luigi Rizzo wrote:
On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 09:48:42PM +0200, Thomas Backman wrote:
I'm copying this over from the freebsd-performance list, as I'm looking for a few more opinions - not on the problems *I* am having, but rather to check whether the problem is universal or not, and if not, find a possible common factor.
In other words: I want to hear about your experiences, *good or bad*!

Here's the original thread (not from the beginning, though): http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-performance/2009-October/003843.html

Long story short, my version: when the disk is stressed hard enough, console IO becomes COMPLETELY unbearable. 10+ seconds to switch between windows in screen(1), running (or even typing) simple commands, etc. This happens both via SSH and the serial console.

hi,
this issue (not specific to FreeBSD, and not new -- it has been
like this forever) is discussed in some detail here

        http://www.bsdcan.org/2009/schedule/events/122.en.html

The following code (a bit outdated) can help

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-March/048704.html

Are you certain? The reported symptoms sound very unusual. Can you reproduce the problem with the provided instructions yourself?

Kris