On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 08:28:03PM -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
Howdy,

I'm having some problems getting 8.0 to install over the network.
I've got my dhcp, tftp and nfs server working well, and I've tested
all three services from this host before attempting to boot over the
network.

pxeboot seems to work, and I see it get loaded via tftp.  The kernel
boots, and parses the options in loader.conf that exist in my
nfs-exported 8.0 DVD fileset:

[r...@archive /home/spork/tmp]# cat
/usr/local/netboot/freebsd8/boot/loader.conf
mfsroot_load="YES"
mfsroot_type="mfs_root"
mfsroot_name="/boot/mfsroot"
boot_multicons="YES"
boot_serial="YES"
console="comconsole,vidconsole"
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"

I see the kernel does find mfsroot and attaches it:

md0: Preloaded image </boot/mfsroot> 4423680 bytes at 0xc0f6dfe0

But then when it's ready to mount the root filesystem, I get this:

SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/md0c
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:

If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the
following from the loader prompt:

     set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

It doesn't really state what the error is.  It's hinting that it's
read-only, but that seems odd.  Even if it couldn't mount r/w,
shouldn't it just drop to single-user at this point?

Next it tries nfs:

Trying to mount root from nfs:
NFS ROOT: 192.168.1.111:/usr/local/netboot/freebsd8
em0: link state changed to UP

And there it sits.  Remotely I can't do anything.  If I'm local, I
can ctrl-alt-del a few times and then about a minute later it does
an orderly restart.

We've been talking off-list about this (and other things), but at this
point I'm pretty sure the problem is that the local slice naming
convention has changed in RELENG_8 from what it was in RELENG_7.

This is the cause/result of the "GEOM overhall" (or whatever it is; I
don't know what to call it.  Is it libdisk changes?  GEOM?  Both?  I
really don't know).  Basically, the way the full size of the disk gets
handled differs now from RELENG_7.  (See footnote for "fun")  So, try
changing this:

vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0c"

...to this (look closely):

vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/md0"

I made the change on the server, but the box is stuck until I can get over there again. Serial consoles are nice, but not being able to send "ctrl-alt-del" is a sad limitation. :)

Remember: the mfsroot image is essentially a UFS filesystem that's
mounted as memory disk.  Since you re-created mfsroot (like you're
supposed to :-) ) on a RELENG_8 box, the layout is different.

In this case, I'm still using the stock 8.0 mfsroot. The only change was to un-gzip it. But this particular issue is probably due to the geom change you noted, so we'll see what happens on reboot.

The NFS root mount you see happening later is a result of the root
filesystem not being available.  This is normal if mfsroot fails.

I'm still stumped as to why it hangs there. I do have something for it to mount there via NFS (the 8.0 dvd contents), and it appears to try, but then it just sits there. Not locked up, just waiting...

Please let me (on the list) know if this fixes your problem.

As soon as she boots, I'll report back.

Footnote: This is why I tell folks to zero out the first 8192 bytes of
any disk they've previously installed FreeBSD on (even if the disk has
no filesystems/slices on it).  The way FreeBSD determines the size of
the disk differs in RELENG_8; I believe GEOM "figures it out" on its own
now, while previous releases relied on the "c" slice.  The method I've
recommended: do dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/adX bs=512 count=16.

Is it also advisable to blot out any old glabel stuff at the end of the disk? What's the math to get that? Get a sector count for the whole disk, set "bs" to 512 and "skip" to (sector count - 1)?

Thanks,

Charles

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   j...@parodius.com |