On 8 March 2010, at 12:33, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010, Doug Hardie wrote:
>
>> I run a number of 4 core systems with em interfaces.  These are production
>> systems that are unmanned and located a long way from me.  Under unusual
>> conditions it can take up to 6 hours to get there.  I have been waiting to
>> switch to 8.0 because of the discussions on the em device and now it sounds
>> like I had better just skip 8.x and wait for 9.  7.2 is working just fine.
>
> Not sure that any information in this survey thread should be relevant to
> that decision.  This race has existed since before FreeBSD, having appeared
> in the original BSD network stack, and is just as present in FreeBSD 7.x as
> 8.x or 9.x.  When I learned about the race during the early 7.x development
> cycle, I added a counter/statistic to measure how much it happened in
> practice, but was not able to exercise it in my testing, and so left the
> counter in to appear in 7.0 and later so that we could perform this survey as
> core counts/etc increase.
>
> The two likely outcomes were "it is never exercised" and "it is exercised but
> only very infrequently", neither really justifying the quite complex change
> to correct it given requirements at the time.  On-going development work on
> the virtual network stack is what justifies correcting the bug at this point,
> moving from detecting and handling the race to preventing it from occuring as
> an invariant.  The motivation here, BTW, is that we'd like to eliminate the
> type-stable storage requirement for connection state (which ensures that
> memory once used for a connection block is only ever used for connection
> blocks in the future), allowing memory to be fully freed when a virtual
> network stack is destroyed.  Using type-stable storage helped address this
> bug, but was primarily present to reduce the overhead of monitoring using
> netstat(1).  We'll now need to use a slightly more expensive solution (true
> reference counts) in that context, although in practice it will almost
> certainly be an unmeasurable cost.
>
> Which is to say that while there might be something in the em/altq/... thread
> to reasonably lead you to avoid 8.0, nothing in the TCP timer race thread
> should do so, since it affects 7.2 just as much as 8.0.  Even if you do see a
> non-zero counter, that's not a matter for operational concern, just useful
> from the perspective of a network stack developer to understanding timing and
> behaviors in the stack.  :-)

Thanks for the complete explanation.  I don't believe the ALTQ issue will
affect me.  I am not currently using it and do not expect to in the near
future.  In addition, there was a posting that a fix for at least part of that
will be added in a week or so.  Given all that it appears its time to start the
planning/testing process for 8.