On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 02:11:13PM +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Update:
> Perhaps the problems I have with this machine[1] are related to the
> MB-455SPF[1] hard drive cage I am using. It has three power connectors,
> which distributes power to all five drives. The documentation doesn't
> say more about which ports gives power to which drives, but since it is
> always drive 2 and 3 in the cage (ata5 and 6) that I've had problems
> with, I rearranged power connections to the cage. We will see
> if that makes any difference.

> 2) http://www.icydock.com/product/mb455spf.html

That enclosure also doesn't state if it has a SAF-TE or SES-2 chip on
it.  It's impossible to tell from the photos since the metallic
enclosure cover up the backplane.

If it does, such chips can/will yank devices off the bus when the chip
considers the drive "faulty".  At least in the SCSI world with SES-2,
I've seen QLogic GEM318 and GEM354 chips do this.  Here's an example of
what I'm referring to:

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/chassis/mobile_rack/CSE-M34.pdf

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   j...@parodius.com |