On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 00:32, Fred Souza <f...@storming.org> wrote:
> Good to know, I never really paid much attention to those details (I
> will from now on). Thank you a lot for the help, Jeremy. I will try
> your suggestions in the morning and post back to tell what did I find
> out.

Like I said, here are my findings:

Jeremy's pointers were very correct, the difference in numbering seems
to be just an ata(4) change. Manually changing entries in /etc/fstab
does fix it, and I found out that the kernel panic I was getting was
merely a simple detail I overlooked:

The 3rd-party nvidia driver had been compiled on -RELEASE and was
causing the kernel panics on -STABLE. Simply disabling its loading at
the boot loader prompt, then booting with /etc/fstab properly updated
and then reinstalling the nvidia-driver port (`portmaster
nvidia-driver`) fixed it. Just to be on the safe side, I also
reinstalled the other 3rd-party kernel module I use (fusefs-ntfs3g),
even though it wasn't giving me any errors.

I did try the -STABLE snapshot image as Jeremy suggested, that's how I
figured he was right about the numering difference being an ata(4)
change. I preferred to just manually change the previous install's
/etc/fstab, though (but maybe there was a better way of doing this
with the -STABLE snapshot DVD).

The interrupt storm on irq21 is still happening, and I'm going to work
on that next. Mounting any non-audio CD/DVD stops it, so I'll keep
doing that until I actually find a fix for the issue.

So thank you very much, Jeremy. Your pointers were very helpful in
fixing my problem.

Best regards,
Fred