On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Christoph Sold wrote:

> > If I install a 4.0 snapshot, I understand it will print the snapshot date
> > as part of the OS version identification... but if I then cvsup and make
> > world, will the date stay the same, change, or vanish?
>
> It will change to the date you compiled the source, uname -a will show
> the machine it was compiled on, along with the date and the tag.

No, it will vanish.

FreeBSD mollari.usc.edu 5.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.0-CURRENT #6: Sun Jun 18
03:50:43 PDT 2000     [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src2/sys/compile/MOLLARI
i386

The 5.0-yyyymmdd-CURRENT (ditto for 4.0) only gets put there when you're
installing a snapshot made from 'make release'.

Kris

    -- Charles Forsythe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>