On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 10:16:13AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 09:57:53AM -0700, Chuck Swiger wrote:
> >>
> >> I doubt repeated coincidences.  :-)  Is prime95 testing running stable
> >> after waking from sleep?
> >
> > He's not running Prime95 (native Win32 app), he's running
> > ports/math/mprime under FreeBSD natively.  I don't know if this
> > application stresses hardware to the same degree Prime95 does; I've used
> > Prime95 many times to burn in new workstations.
>
> It's doing the same math operations; something like "mprime -t" is the same
> as the Win32 test mode per the docs:
>
>      -t              Run the torture test.  Same as Options/Torture Test.
>
> > The Thinkpad hardware he's on is """old""" (note the quotes), so I
> > wouldn't be surprised if the CPU (Intel Pentium M) happens to induce a
> > strange/odd MCA event as a result of going in/out of sleep state.  It
> > could be a general system bug of some sort as well (one which has no
> > repercussions).
>
> That sounds reasonable to me, but I'm wary of uncorrected errors which seem
> to be reproducible to specific circumstances.
>
> > Look at it this way: if his L1 cache was going bad, his system would be
> > freaking out doing literally anything (booting the kernel for example);
> > I'm under the impression Pentium M CPUs do not have ECC L1 cache.
>
> Sure, if the MCA report is reflecting a legitimate problem, and it was
> happening more often than every few minutes, and it happened after a cold
> reboot rather than after wakeup from sleep....  :-)
>
> I place more faith in ~17 hours of Prime95/mprime working OK to validate that
> the hardware is not obviously broken.

Oh, absolutely.  If anything my statement was indirectly agreeing with
your recommended test (sans being unsure how mprime behaved).  :-)

I wonder if there's CPU errata or something along those lines which
might explain the behaviour.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   j...@parodius.com |