Just a quick note to say the target schedule for the release of
FreeBSD 7.4 and 8.2 has been worked out.  We will be shooting
for a dual release (same target dates for both releases).  The
major highlights are:

Freeze:         Nov. 28, 2010
BETA1:          Dec. 3, 2010
RC1:            Dec. 17, 2010
RC2:            Jan 7, 2011
REL:            Jan 21, 2011

It is expected that 7.4 will be the last of the 7.X releases.

The schedules are available on the Web:

  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/7.4R/schedule.html
  http://www.freebsd.org/releases/8.2R/schedule.html

as are the Wiki pages that will be used to track the progress
of the releases:

  http://wiki.freebsd.org/Releng/7.4TODO
  http://wiki.freebsd.org/Releng/8.2TODO

While on the topic of releases, branches, etc...  On a slightly
related note the November 2010 Monthly Snapshots will be the last
to include stable/6 (RELENG_6, 6.X) since secteam support for that
branch will end at the end of November.  I'll make a separate,
explicit announcement about that once the November 2010 Snapshots
become available.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensm...@buffalo.edu