On Dec 18, 2010, at 3:50 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 12/18/2010 15:41, Chuck Swiger wrote:
>> /usr/local/sbin/named from ports seems to be using a
>> /var/named/var/run/named/named.pid file instead.
>
> You're not using the default named.conf file then.

Nope.

> What you've got there is the named default, whether from ports or the base,
> doesn't matter.

Yes, that seems to be right.

> I always suggest that people start from the default named.conf, and add and
> subtract accordingly, preferably with include directives to make life easier.
> Look at pid-file in the options section in particular. :) It's different from
> the default due to hysterical raisins, which I'm sort of loathe to change now.

It would be handy if named grew an option flag to control the pidfile location,
so that the rc.d script could be sure that it is looking at the appropriate
place.

Failing that, however, I find it a bit surprising that I'd need to override
some compiled-in default location in the config to make things work, when I'm
not changing the defaults myself and named is being chroot'ed under a
filesystem tree which the rc.d script is free to adjust as it needs to for
things to align without symlink duct-tape.  :-)

Regards,
--
-Chuck