On 03/08/2011 08:15, John Baldwin wrote:
On Tuesday, March 08, 2011 5:54:36 am Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
System:

FreeBSD zfs.digiware.nl 8.2-STABLE FreeBSD 8.2-STABLE #1: Sat Feb 26
06:28:43 CET 2011
r...@zfs.digiware.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/src8/src/sys/ZFS  amd64

Don't have a serial console, so I wrote down the traceback.
But my guess is that that is not enough, however I needed the system so
I rebooted.

tb:
vm_object_split         at .... +0x125
vm_space_fork           at .... +0x3f7
fork1                   at .... +0x6a9
fork                    at .... +0xee
syscall_entr            at .... +1c
syscall                 at .... +4c

rip = 0x8006bc39c
rsp = 0x7fffffffe9d8
rbp = 0x800a04470

It looks a lot like what I find on
http://people.freebsd.org/~pho/stress/log/kostik079.html

But my system is amd64, with 8Gb RAM and is fully ZFS based
with swap on 2 gpt freebsd-swap partitions.

System crashed last night around 1:30, which is when a few large rsync
backups are coming in.

Would I be able to call doadump to obtain something usefull afterward
(provided I have savecore set?)
Hmm, judging from the info at the URL above, I'm not sure what to make of this
assertion.  In vm_object_split(), the 'new_object' is always OBJT_DEFAULT, so
it will always fail that half of the assertion.  In fact, this is the only
place that vm_page_cache_transfer() is called, so 'new_object->type ==
OBJT_SWAP' is pretty much guaranteed to almost never be true.

I guess it is assuming that swap_pager_copy() would have always converted
'new_object' to OBJT_SWAP if it had any cache pages?  Perhaps that is a bogus
assumption if 'orig_object' only has cache pages and no currently-swapped out
pages (or if the swapped out pages are not in the range of the new object)?

I've cc'd Alan to see if he has any ideas.

Yes, it is assuming that the object is converted to OBJT_SWAP. As a rule, for a page to be PG_CACHE, it should exist somewhere on secondary storage.

Alan