On 29/04/2011, at 2:16, Malcolm Waltz wrote:
> I doubt the issues you are encountering have much to do with ZFS.
>
> It sounds like you are using TimeMachine over NFS.  Obviously, Apple does not
> support that configuration:
> http://www.google.com/search?q=time+machine+nfs+site:apple.com
>
> In my opinion, TimeMachine should only be used with block storage.  If you
> use any kind of file-sharing protocol (AFP, SMB/CIFS or NFS), TimeMachine is
> implemented using a sparse disk image broken into hundreds or thousands of
> separate files.  This is a hack at best.
>
> Time machine works very well with locally attached storage, but if you need
> to use network storage, you might want to try iSCSI:
> http://thegreyblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/using-zfs-with-apple-time-machine.html
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/iscsi/iscsi.txt

Hmm, I _am_ using AFPD, not NFS for this.. I will see about using an ISCSI disk
image instead (although that would make it impossible to resize once it's
created right?)

I see that the sparse disk image does use ~80000 files in a single directory
which does take.. a while.. to stat..

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum