On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:24 AM, Zoran Kolic <zko...@sbb.rs> wrote:

> Dear folks!
> I see threads on the laptop subject, some forums also,
> but no clue for cheap lapper with freebsd compatibility.
> There is a chance to get mentioned box for about 450
> euros, without OS and with specs like this:
>
> Intel Core#2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz, 3MB L2 cache, FSB 800MHz
> Intel GS45 Express + Intel ICH9M-Enhanced (chipset)
> Intel GMA 4500 MHD (graphics)
> 13.3" 1366x768 HD WLED Anti-Glare (screen)
> Intel Link 5100 IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi (wifi)
> ExpressCard
> 6-cell Li-lon battery
> FreeDos (OS)
>
> I'm aware of something called "optimus" to optimize graphics
> and inability to know prior getting laptop home. Someone
> already has this laptop? To me it looks like it should work
> out of the box.
> I tend to like box to be cold and silent. If you have idea
> or better laptop in the price range, I'd be eager to know.
> Best regards all
>
>                               Zoran

For laptops you may check the following site :

http://laptop.bsdgroup.de/freebsd/

Also check FreeBSD Hardware lists such as

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/8.2-RELEASE/HARDWARE.HTM
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.2-RELEASE/HARDWARE.HTM

for hardware compatibility issues , for example , search Intel GMA 4500 MHD
(graphics) , and other chips .

It is NOT possible to know in advance without any prior knowledge whether a
computer is working with FreeDOS will work with FreeBSD because these are
very different systems . Therefore my idea is to avoid FreeDOS loaded
computers if it is to be used for FreeBSD or Linux . The producer/seller can
install FreeBSD or Linux without cost ( if the computer is NOT a DOS
computer , i.e. , FreeBSD ( Unix ) , Linux can work on it  ) .

Over the years , always my suggestion to my friends is to select at least a
computer having Linux installed . If there is Linux on it and it is working
it is very likely that it will work with FreeBSD .
If you can find a laptop as FreeBSD is installed , it is much better than
any other ones .

Another way is to test the computer for FreeBSD is to start it with a
FreeBSD LiveCD ( This will not show the FreeBSD can be installed and run
successfully  . Over time , some programs may crash due to missing circuit
parts because such parts are NOT included into the circuits because they are
NOT necessary for DOS or its children . With a few run , this point can not
be understood without applying test programs ( which I do NOT know any such
program name ) . Such a feature may turn your computer unusable for you with
FreeBSD or Linux over time when it occurs under a required program . ) .  As
a summary , to such Live CD checks , do NOT rely on much , actually ignore
such pseudo-tests .

For other BSD related GUI Live CD distributions , you may check the
following site :

http://www.livebsd.org/

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk